Saturday, January 24, 2009

Don't Save Her... She Don't Wanna Be Saved!


One of the hardest parts about living on my block is the Popeyes Chicken down the street. I have to walk past it every day. As soon as I step out my apartment the smell of hot butter biscuits hits my nose and it takes every ounce of my willpower not to get 2 legs, 3 biscuits, a side of corn and an apple pie.

On this particular evening I could not resist. I was going in. The line (as usual) was very long. What I like about this Popeyes is that they always mess up the order… but in a good way. You leave with more food than what you pay for!

While in line a woman who looked very down on her luck walked in. She appeared to be homeless. She walked from person to person asking for money to feed her children. I stood there and watched as people ignored her and looked at her like she was a disgrace to the world. I’ll occasionally give a dollar when I see a homeless person. Perhaps it was Marvin Sapp’s gospel hit “Never Would Have Made It” that I was listening to in my headphones that had me feeling extra Christian… but I had a huge desire to help the woman.

Woman “I am trying to feed my children. Would you mind helping me out?”

Me “Stand beside me and when it is my turn to order… I will get you a family bucket.”

I figured I could cut my order and fix some sides at home… and eat a PB&J for lunch the next day. After all, sometimes you have to ask yourself WWJD.

Woman “ Psssh! I don’t want no chicken! (she said this like I offered her a bag of my bowels) I’m trying to get some Chinese Food!” (Oh no she didn’t!)

Okay see… I was trying to refrain from thinking this woman was a crack head but, that had to be the most crack headed statement EVER. I’m offering her a FREE FAMILY BUCKET of chicken and she got the nerve to turn it down and request an order of Chinese food! I figured I’d give her one more chance to redeem herself.

Me “I’m offering to buy you a family pack of chicken and biscuits…. Not any cash… and not any Chinese food”.

Woman “Well, I WANT some Chinese food. My kids want Chinese!”

If she wanted Chinese food so damn bad… why was she in POPEYES begging and not next door at the Chinese spot? This only makes me think that she wants the money for “other things”… but even then… TAKE THE DAMN CHICKEN ANYWAY! This type of ungratefulness makes me not want to help people and just stick to myself… but you can’t be like that.

Me “Sorry, I can’t help you.”

By this time 2 guys behind me were laughing historically at the foolishness of this situation. They gave the woman some money so she would leave me alone and told her to go get some “Chinese food”.

I have not been to Popeyes since… and that is probably best for my waistline.

1 comment:

Leila Michelle said...

LOL!!!! this definately happened to me in front of subway. Dude was like "I don't wanna sandwich, just give me the money". I responded "you must not be hungry...beggars cant be choosers! oh..how appropriate that is!!" gave him my signature grin and walked away. :D