Sunday, February 1, 2009

You Betta WORK!


I think it is safe to assume that everyone in their educational career is subjected to that teacher who has no interest in teaching… rather they spend the entire class period brining students down instead of motivating. Their goal? To embarrass every kid before the school year is over.

Mr. Johnson. I will never forget the day he decided to tell me about myself in front of my peers. Calling me “arrogant” and “naïve” simply because I found his class a waste of time. I did the work, participated…. but if I find the subject matter boring and your teaching methods ineffective… I’m not stuntin you . I was mad he called me names in class… any problem he had could have been discussed when the bell rang. When I stood up for myself… he tried to issue me a detention (I went straight to the VP’s office and got it terminated).

My good friend Nathan did drag shows. He is the original Sasha Fierce! Beyonce has nothing on my guy! (Snap for the kids). One night he was doing a show at this gay club called the Garden and invited me and my friend Sara to go.

Nathan worked it and won the competition! He ripped the runway like he was the love child of Tyra Banks and Ms. Jay! The three of us took to the dance floor to celebrate.

Sara (grabbing my arm) “OMG! Jessica! Turn Around!”

There he was. Mr. Johnson in all his glow stick glory…. backing it up with a man to the techno remix of YMCA.

Sara “We have to get out of here! I don’t want him telling my parents I was here!” (I’m usually the scary acting friend… but I was too amused!)

Me “Get a hold of yourself! I don’t think he wants your parents to know HE is in here!”

Nathan “Well! Now we know why he busted you out in class the other day Jess. He does not hate you… HE WANTS TO BE YOU! OKKKAAAAAAY!”

Sara “You guys are forgetting something… WE ARE UNDERAGE!” (Garden never carded show participants and their entourage)

With that we decided to leave, but Nathan aka Tammi aka Tam Tam just had to sashay on past Mr. Johnson. I don’t know if Mr. Johnson ever saw me in the club that night…. but we sure saw him!

I sat in 6th period the next day smiling from ear to ear! I made sure to participate! Every time I would raise my hand… he seemed scared to call on me.

I could have outed Mr. Johnson to my peers, but I never did. I didn’t like it when he judged me and slapped on the arrogant label… so I was not going to judge or label him.

Like mom says… “two wrongs don’t make a right.” Besides, it would have been like Clay Aiken, Lance Bass, or Wanda Sykes coming out…. No one would have been surprised. And whether Mr. Johnson was or wasn’t … was not the business of me or my classmates.

No comments: